15 February 2010

For The Sake Of Updating


Seems like I have updating my blog 2 weeks ago. Except that story about my birthday.

Since I will be at home for a week, I want to keep writing for my blog. This time, for the sake of updating my blog, I want to share a little bit about my findings during my reading session. Yes, I have my own self-reading sessions. Hehe.

Have you ever heard about a trip of mice, a flamboyant of flamingoes or a murder of crows? This is just the same with 'penjodoh bilangan' in Bahasa Malaysia. We normally take for granted for these group of animals. We know about some of the pests, others we know that they bring diseases. Some of them we have devour but the others we would rather avoid.

My findings is about a man who collects amazing facts and trivias about animals. He simply love them. Some of the animals have their own collective nouns. He is just amazing, incredible and intriguing in coming with the facts. Apparently, it is not easy to explain why some of the collective nouns used. Why swans are referred as a lamentation, a bank or a wedge? Why ferrets referred as a business and a group of crabs are a bushel? I don't have an answer right now.

And do you have any idea why the a group of peacocks called as a muster and a group of starlings referred as a murmuration? We all know a lion roars ( it's not a lion if it isn't ) but they cannot until they are 2 years old. And there is no two lions who have same fingerprints. Just like humans. See how creative and almighty Allah S.W.T is.

Talk about turkeys. A group of male turkeys called a posse but there is none for the female turkeys. And the Native Americans didn't eat turkeys for they believe turkeys will make them lazy. But turkey in foil packets is the first meal astronauts Neil Armstrong and Edwin Aldrin ate when they landed at moon. (In case you are still believe that they are really the first landed at moon).

Now, the gnus. Why they are called the implausibility of gnus? You may not find all the answers but at least you get some incredible facts.

And for the trivia. Tell me the collective nouns for

  1. Tadpoles
  2. Frogs
  3. Toads
I am waiting friends.:P

No comments: